Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Savannah's Story

Better late than never, right?  My usual "free time" to use the computer, during Aurora's nap time, has been spent taking naps myself since Savannah joined us, thus why I haven't posted this yet :)

We opted for an elected induction this time, hoping to get our timing right for Darwin to have two weeks at home, and it worked!  He took last week off to be home with us and this week is Spring Break.  How lucky we are to have him home with us for so long!!  So, here's Savannah's story finally (feel free to not read the whole thing--this is really just for my records)...

The morning of Friday March 22nd, I spent doing some last minute cleaning and I'm happy to say my house was pretty spotless when I left to go to the hospital (I was SO bugged that I still had dishes in my sink when I went to the hospital to have Aurora and I was determined that wouldn't happen again!), and I also spent some one-on-one time with Aurora.  My BFF, Tracee, picked us up about 11:30 to take me to the hospital and Aurora home with her.  Tracee said she felt like she was taking me to the airport because she was just dropping me off at the curb.  Haha.

I checked into Labor and Delivery at noon as planned, and crossed my fingers that I wouldn't progress faster than I pictured in my head, to make sure Darwin got to be there for Savannah's birth.  He had to work the day I was induced in order to have the entire next week off.  Everything went more smoothly this time.  It only took 3 attempts at my IV to get it in (rather than 1.5 hours and numerous pokes and bruises with Aurora).  I was already at 4 cm and 70% when I got to the hospital.  I was started on pitocin by 1:30 and by 2:30 I was ready for my epidural--mostly because every time I had a contraction I would get a sharp pain in the ribs on my right side that made it really hard to breathe.  I'm pretty sure Savannah had bruised my ribs with her kicking and that's the spot that hurt so bad during contractions.  I'm glad I asked for the epidural when I did, but I was bummed Darwin wasn't at the hospital with me yet to hold my hand while the anesthesiologist got it in.  My nurse, Kathie, was an okay substitute though :)  The epidural was TONS better this time!!  I was pain free but could still move my legs, and it worked almost instantly rather than taking two hours to kick in like it did with Aurora.  The epidural was in by 3:00, and Darwin got to the hospital about 3:20.  I was so glad when he got there, and that Savannah hadn't come yet :)  My nurse checked me just after Dar got there and I was dilated to a 6 and 80%.

After Dar got there, a couple nurses came in and asked if we wanted to participate in a study to monitor the baby's heart rate, more like an EKG, which would help better determine fetal distress during delivery.  They said we may not make it though, since I was progressing so quickly, but we decided to read through the paperwork anyway, just in case.  I was totally up for participating because I think studies are great and beneficial.  As we were reading, my nurse called my doctor at about 3:50 to let her know Darwin was at the hospital and we were ready when she was.  Her clinic is right across the street from the hospital where I delivered and she said she had about 5 more patients she wanted to see and she'd come break my water at 5:00.  We were fine with that, and continued reading the paperwork for the study.  About 5 minutes after the nurse had told us my doctor would come at 5:00, my water broke on its own about 3:55pm.  Dar and I actually heard it pop on the monitor!  Haha!  I called in the nurse, she checked me and I was at 9 cm and 100% effaced.  When my water broke, Savannah's heart rate dropped so the nurse slapped the oxygen on me and made me lay on my side.  Her heart rate picked back up in that position, but the nurse was certainly feeling rushed all of a sudden.  She called my doctor and told her she needed to come right away.
 photo DSC09470_zpsb15d60a3.jpg

My doctor was there in the room with us within like 3 minutes...seriously.  She probably ran across the street because she knew how urgent things became.  Everything happened so fast after my water broke!  When she got there I was ready to push.  I started pushing at 4:03 and Savannah was born at 4:09pm.  I had to push for a whopping 6 minutes :)  Apparently my tailbone dislocated, and Dr. Harrison and the nurse she brought with her from her office heard it pop.  Dar and I didn't hear it, but I was glad that it really didn't hurt as much as I expected after delivery.

I was actually a bit nervous when Savannah was born because she didn't cry and she didn't look like she was moving.  The cord had been wrapped around her neck, which is why her heart rate dropped when my water broke.  Dr. Harrison said she was going to take Savannah over to the table and try to get her to cry, but on her way over there Savannah let out the cutest little squeal and I totally cried when I heard it, partly from relief that she was okay and partly out of sheer joy that our healthy little baby girl had joined the world.  She was perfect--10 fingers, 10 toes, and everything in its place.  Savannah's delivery and birth were in such huge contrast to the last time we were there delivering a baby, our little Nastassia, that I couldn't help but cry with relief and happiness that this little munchkin was here and healthy.

Like I said, things went so quickly and so well this time, we were very pleased.  After she was born we spent some time with just the three of us in the room.  It was so nice and peaceful.  I love the sacredness of a new child entering the world and basking in the miracle of it all.  How truly blessed we are to be parents!!

Our newest princess, goopy eyes and everything :)
 photo DSC09489_zps27f7b52e.jpg
Happy Daddy!
 photo DSC09514_zps19b9a70f.jpg
I wasn't given the option to go to the nursery with Darwin and Aurora when she was born, so when the nurse asked if I wanted to go this time I jumped at the opportunity.  It must have been a pretty slow day for delieveries because there were only two other babies in the nursery besides Savannah, although I'm sure there were other babies in their rooms.  Either way, it was nice to be in the nursery with my teeny little one this time.
We are oh! so proud of that head of hair! :)
Savannah has more and darker hair than Aurora did.  We're just hoping she keeps it! 
 photo DSC09527_zps5ba6166d.jpg
I love that we have a picture of Aurora holding Dar's finger like this too
  photo DSC09536_zpsa88bdabb.jpg
 photo DSC09555_zps678c1d6d.jpg

Aurora didn't get to meet her new baby sister until the next morning.  We decided that would probably be best because we figured she wouldn't want to leave us if she came to the hospital the night after Savannah was born.  (A HUGE thank you again, Tracee, for being so wonderful and taking Aurora over night for us.  You're the BEST!!!)  From the very beginning, Aurora loved her baby sister.  As soon as she saw her, she just kept saying "Vannah" over and over again like she couldn't believe Savannah was finally here.  It's the only thing she said for about 5 minutes.  It was stinking cute!  It kind of felt like they were just reuniting after a long absence from each other and Aurora was super happy to be with her sister again :)
 photo DSC09591_zps4b4d1c81.jpg
Our little family :)
 photo DSC09595_zpsb2cc7feb.jpg
They gave each other gifts at the hospital--Savannah gave Aurora a cute little penguin named Waddles
  photo DSC09613_zps0a24d276.jpg
Aurora gave Savannah an adorable little bunny named Hopson
 photo DSC09631_zps76ec9554.jpg 
Aurora stayed at the hospital with us for the day, and she did really well for being there for so long.  We were all happy that we got to go home so early though.  We had to stay for 24 hours after Savannah was born, but we were home by 6:30pm Saturday night.  So nice!

Ready to go home!
 photo DSC09699_zpsd1fe0bb5.jpg
Our sweet little Savannah
 photo DSC09707_zpsddae0a55.jpg
 First morning at home and so very proud to be a big sister!
 photo DSC09719_zps8131c566.jpg
 Rori loves to hold and kiss her baby sister!
  photo DSC09721_zps9edec900.jpg
We're are SO GLAD you're here, Savannah!
We love you so incredibly already!!
Welcome to the world, baby girl.

5 comments:

The Stevenson's said...

Congratulations!!! I'm glad that everything went sooooo smoothly for you. Such a sweet family :)

Koon Family said...

Hi Sweetie! It was so nice spending time with all of you today! What a perfect little family you have (so far!) I know it was late when you did your post, but doesn't Vannah have 10 fingers and 10 toes? ;0) you don't need to post this but you might want to change it.. I love you all so very much!

Darwin + Kiara said...

LOL. Funny type-o :) Thanks, Mom. I fixed it. Funny that Dar and Shannon didn't catch it either. Haha.

deechickens said...

She is still as darling as ever, thanks for sharing her story it was great to hear again! Love you guys, let me know if you need any help once Darwin is back to school next week.

Erica said...

She's such a pretty baby, and Aurora looks so cute with her! Congratulations!