Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Air Show!!

On Saturday, D & I had a SUPER busy day! We got up bright and early to go run in the Art City Days 5k. There were over 2,000 registered runners!! D beat his last time by 4 seconds, and unfortunately I was 1 minute over my last time, but I blame it on all of the people...the first 2 minutes of the "run" we actually had to walk because we were waiting for all of the people in front of us to start moving. So, really we both ran it faster, but I didn't beat my time because of our slow start :( It was still really fun though!

After the 5k, we went home and got ready to head up to Layton for the Hill Air Force Base Air Show. This was D's first air show, and my second (even though I grew up in Layton). It was really fun to be there with my dad and little brother, Skylar, and the McSweeney's, but there were TONS of other people there too! Despite the thousands of people on the base, I ran into a good friend from high school that I haven't seen in years! It was really fun to browse around HAFB and watch the planes and jets. I'm not sure what all of them are called though :)

The two pictures below display the legacy of U.S. aviation, the middle plane was used during WWII, the plane above (F4 Phantom) was used in Vietnam, and the plane below (F16 Falcon?) which is our modern day fighter.
I know this one is a WWII Zero...D & I see them on the show "Dog Fights" on the History Channel, one of three that are still flown today.
Us in front of F6F Hellcat fighter that went head on with the Japanese Zero above, specifically designed to fight against them.
This one was GINORMOUS!! You can see an itty-bitty plane in the background too.
Astronauts: Dad, K, D, Sky
Jumpers
Sky & Dad
The coolest part of the air show was watching the Thunderbirds. Thanks for taking such great pictures, Skylar!


Also, here are a couple really short sample videos from the air show. You really have to be there to experience the whole effect. It was really amazing to watch the Thunderbirds fly so close to each other! If you get the chance to go next time they're in town, we totally recommend it!





P.S. Can I just tell you how great it is to have D home for the summer already? Yesterday was his first official day of summer vacation, and it was WONDERFUL to have him home with me!! Honey, here's to a summer full of doing whatever we want! Woo Hoo!

1 comment:

Jared & Tracee said...

It WAS so fun even with all they people! Love the picts