Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gratitude.

For Family Home Evening last night we had a "gratitude activity" in honor of Thanksgiving this week. I created pieces of paper with the numbers 1-100 on it for Dar & I to think of 100 things we're grateful for. At first Dar wasn't too thrilled and thought he could only maybe come up with 50 at the most (he was pretty tuckered out from work). It did seem like a challenge at first, but we were both pleasantly surprised with how quickly we came up with our 100 blessings. It wasn't our "Top 100" list but "The-first-100-things-that-came-to-mind" list, and we honestly could have kept going long past 100. There were many things I thought of that I didn't actually write down but Dar had on his list and vice verse. Some things were pretty general and others were really specific. It was definitely a fun activity that I'd like to make a tradition for FHE the Monday before Thanksgiving each year. I think it will be fun to see how our lists change from year to year.

And just a little sample, here's the first 10 things and our last item we each put on our lists:

Darwin:
1. Kiara
2. Aurora
3. Knowledge of the Gospel
4. Atonement of Jesus Christ
5. Blessings
6. Abundances
7. Few major trials
8. Home
9. Job
10. 2nd mortgage nearly paid off
100. That Heavenly Father gave all of this to me

Kiara:
1. Heavenly Father
2. Jesus Christ
3. Darwin
4. Aurora
5. Laughter
6. Happiness
7. Smiles
8. Temples
9. Scriptures
10. Prayer
100. Life

Happy Thanksgiving this week, and I hope you each take the opportunity to count your blessings and thank our Heavenly Father for all He has given you!

1 comment:

Lora said...

I saw a quote that said "what if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you thanked God for today? I absolutely LOVED it!!
I love that activity! It would be fun to see just how many things you could come up with and keep a running tally-trying never to repeat! (I think we'll have to try it!)