Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pioneer Day!

I love the festivities of Pioneer Day.  Last year was the first time the Temple to Temple run was held and we loved it, so we did it again this year.  The night before when I went to pick up our bibs one of the volunteers said to get there early because they were planning on 8,000-10,000 people running it!  So, we we woke the girls up early, picked up some Krispy Kreme doughnuts and got the girls ready while we waited for the race to start.
 photo DSC06312_zps22ef509c.jpg
 So beautiful!
 photo DSC06313_zps22f5b351.jpg
Getting there early paid off because I was able to get the bibs for some of our friends who were running it too, and we were right up close to the "Start" line!  I was a little nervous because I knew the fast runners were up front--and we were the only ones that close to the front of the line with a stroller.  As we were running it, a guy ran past us cheering us on saying "Go handcarts! Go handcarts!" Haha!
 photo DSC06316_zps0bc7e3b4.jpg
We ran our fastest time ever together and crossed the finish line at just under 27 minutes--we probably would have crossed in under 25 minutes if I hadn't had to stop a couple times because I had such a bad side cramp from pushing so hard at the beginning.  We were sore for a few days after the run because neither of us stretched very well--it was totally fun and worth it though. I'd definitely to it again ;)
 photo DSC06318_zps3d6d6863.jpg
Runners are encouraged to dedicate their run to an ancestor.  She's not an ancestor, but we wore our Julie Deming headbands in honor of Darwin's cousin who passed away last May in a car accident.
 photo DSC06403_zps507e1f61.jpg
It'll be awesome when this temple is finished!  Aurora says that's where she wants to get married, and I'm 100% okay with that!  It's going to be beautiful when it's completed.
 photo DSC06319_zpsc033cd03.jpg
I'm still really bummed that we missed getting to see Angel Moroni put on top.
 photo DSC06320_zps8d1a1367.jpg
 photo DSC06326_zpsf5ecfbf3.jpg
Savy fell asleep on the way home from our run.  Daddy and Rori dropped us off at home so Savy could sleep and I could get some work done, then they went to enjoy some more of our traditional festivities.
 photo DSC06329_zps4cf54c88.jpg
 photo DSC06335_zps22ee70b5.jpg
After all that fun we still needed some more so we went and played in the splash pad at my cousin's house and had a tasty BBQ.  Can't get much better!
 photo DSC06380_zps927b3ceb.jpg
 photo DSC06381_zpsc13c634c.jpg
We had a little more time before heading back into town for the fireworks so we went home for a little bit.  I'm glad our girls love each other :)  It's moments like this that I live for!
 photo DSC06385_zps63f3f63f.jpg
Both girls fell asleep in the car on the way to the fireworks.  We had to carry our sleeping kidlets about a half mile from where we parked to the field where we were going to hang out for a couple hours to wait for the fireworks.  I honestly wondered if we were doing it for us or for the girls.  Aurora woke up pretty quickly once we got to the field but Savannah was pretty out of it and I thought she might sleep all night and miss out on the fun...but she eventually woke up because I was shifting my position so much while hold her.  Oops!
 photo DSC06388_zps6451fd62.jpg
No better way to celebrate Pioneer Day than to finish it off with great friends and a good fireworks show!
 photo DSC06394_zps523caba3.jpg
 photo DSC06395_zpsfe58caae.jpg
Happy Pioneer Day!

No comments: