Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mr. D loves science, see?--Thyroid 101; Lesson 1

As many of you already know, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism back in 2000, and have been treating it with medication, and doing very well. Recently I found out though, that I should not be taking one of my medications if we ever want to get pregnant at any point in the future, so when I asked my doctor about it, he graduated me from his clinic (I'd been seeing my pediatric doctor up until June) and sent me to an adult endocrinologist who recommended a different treatment option so that when we are ready to start our family, we'll be able to do so without any risk to the baby. Here's some more on our current Deming adventure:



Sorry that we both look/sound like idiots, but we couldn't resist sharing the funniness of the situation. I'll be having the actual radioactive iodine therapy done this Friday and will be secluded to our home until Monday, when it will be safe for me to go back into the world without exposing anyone else to my radioactive body :) Darwin is allowed to be around me, but I'm going to need a 6 foot radius, which means we won't be able to travel anywhere in the car together. Also, I'll be sleeping in our spare room so I don't expose him more than necessary. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer any that I can. I hope this doesn't freak anyone out either. It's not as serious as it might sound. Hope you enjoyed it!

5 comments:

BusyMama said...

Wow! That's amazing! My sister-in-law had the same thing and now she's as good as new, so rest assured, you will not be a radioactive object for long! Keep smiling. :)

Jennie-O said...

That is super interesting & a little creepy Kiara!! I think Dar is such a science geek, but I love it :)

Cristin said...

I still can't believe you were seeing your pediatric doctor until now. :)

Darwin + Kiara said...

Cristin-Funny that I was seeing my pediatric doctor, huh? He told me he'd keep seeing me until I got pregnant, but just me asking about the issue freaked him out so he sent me away :) I kind of like my new doc better already!

Lisa said...

You two crack me up! I am glad you will be good as new in no time ;)