Wednesday, January 7, 2009

He's glad I watch TV

My husband is so sweet. He compliments me all the time on random things, and I love it! Last night at dinner, he said the funniest thing though! Before I tell you what he said, I have to give a little background. Before I got married, I had cooked maybe 10 meals my whole life. I HATED cooking! I would much rather scrub toilets (which I don't mind cleaning most of the time) than cook a meal! Also, if you know me, you know that despite my loathing of cooking, I've always loved watching cooking shows. I guess it's more fun for me to watch people cook than for me to do the cooking myself. But, for some reason, when I met Darwin and we got married I suddenly had a desire to kick my cooking skills up a notch. I think my cooking has steadily improved during the time we've been married, and I honestly really enjoy it now. (Baking is another story however, but I'm working on learning to love that too) I love trying new recipes and giving them my own pizazz to spice them up a bit more to mine and Darwin's liking.

So...last night at dinner...

I decided I wanted to make a nice, warm, comforting meal for dinner because it was my last night of freedom before the semester started again, it had been snowing all day, and I knew Darwin was going to have a long day at school so I wanted to welcome him home with a nice hot cooked meal. My choice of culinary art for the evening was broccoli-cheddar soup and homemade bread sticks. Really nothing too fancy, but I was pretty proud of myself (especially because I made homemade bread sticks!!). Luckily, Darwin enjoyed it too and informed me that he's glad I watch cooking shows all the time because my cooking skills have definitely improved :D

He's right though. I get all sorts of wonderful tips from watching Food Network all day! There is no way on this Earth I will ever make even a quarter of the recipes I see on Food Network, but I use cooking tips all the time! I've even got Darwin watching the cooking shows with me when he has time, and he picks up on good cooking tips as well.

So, thanks to my Food Network addiction, and my desire to please my husband, my cooking skills are improving!! :)

11 comments:

Rebekah said...

That's funny! Husbands always say the sweetest things in a not so sweet way... :)

Laci said...

what a cute husband! thats funny :o)

nathan said...

haha that is funny. we should be neighbors...I'll cook you can clean :) haha yeah right. but still that is awesome.

Paige said...

I'm with you--I've always been fascinated by cooking shows even though I'm not a big fan of cooking. We love the Food Network. Natalia's favorite is Barefoot Contessa although I'm not sure why!

Kirsten said...

Don't you love it when your husband actually compliments your dinner?! It's not that I'm a bad cook, it's that sometimes I just like to go all out and do more than the norm.

Carrie Richins said...

Food Network rocks! That's so funny, Adam teases me all the time for watching it, but he watches it with me now. But hey, give yourself more credit: I've tasted your cooking and it's great!

Jennie-O said...

I am the same way when I'm on my food network kick. I can't stop myself from trying new recipes. FYI don't turn to HGTV or you will be doing stuff to your new place like crazy too! :)

Sara Kappas said...

Thats good you got Darwin to watch with you. I love the food network and I pretty much watch it all day as well. But Clay refuses to watch anything on the Food Network. Before we got married the only thing I ever cooked was mac and cheese so I guess my skills have improved from the food network as well.

Lisa said...

That is hilarious! I am the same way about watching cooking shows, and I must admit it has helped me like cooking and baking a ton more. Knowledge is power right?

Katie Sterling said...

That's so funny! So I'm sorry I haven't gotten you the fudge recipe yet. You'll need:
2 larger symphony bars ( I use 1 plain and 1 with toffee and get mine at walmart) and

1 can sweetened condensed milk (also cheap at walmart).

You break up the chocolate into squares, pour the s.c.milk on it and the put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until melted. Then you pour it in a 9 x 9 pan and let it set up (fastest in the fridge). MMMMM sounds so good! Hope it works for you!

Kenley and Mel said...

Ha ha you guys are so funny and so cute together. I love those cooking shows though. They always have such great new ideas!!!