Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Michael McLean and the Adoption Conference

The Adoption Conference went outstandingly well! I think that no matter what event you put on, there are always a few bumps, but I think everything was awesome. All of my anal efforts in organizing the volunteers paid off and things went very smoothly. I honestly had a blast during the conference, despite a few slight moments of stress. I even volunteered to help out again next year if they decide to do it again and if I'm available. I hope everyone who attended got something out of it...I know I did. (And, it was so great to see you, Tricia!) I was able to be a moderator for one of the sessions--a panel discussion of social workers that was extremely informative, and I had a blast doing it. But the biggest highlight of the day for me was being able to meet Michael McLean in person, and he even gave me a hug (and the pictures prove it)! :) He's such a genuine person and really cares about people and their stories. That's one of the things I love about the field I'm going into...I've learned and become more aware that every person has a story, and it's learning those stories that makes me want to make a difference. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures from the day, and a video I took of Michael performing his highlight song, "From God's Arms to My Arms to Yours." Sorry it's a bad recording and a little shaky, but I hope you enjoy it anyway!

Janice and Me
(She's my partner-in-crime at school...we have a blast together)

A couple of our volunteers at the sales table...selling Michael's book/cd combo
See the half hug? I told you!! ;)
Yeah--that's us with Michael McLean...Suh-weet!
Michael telling us awesome adoption stories in between playing and singing songs for us


4 comments:

MARK & CHRISTY said...

That is awesome that you are so involved! To tell you the truth I am super jealous! I do love it up here at Utah State, but I miss being at UVU with you! I am happy you found a new partner in crime in school.. wish it could still be me!! :) Glad things are going so well for you!

Rebekah said...

That's really cool that you did this.

Marci said...

WOW! you get to do the coolest things! Glad you had such a great experience!

Lora said...

Oh my I have never heard that song before! I have been bawling for the last 15 minutes. Wow really hits home. What an amazing song and what an experience to work on something so impacting like this! =)