Saturday, June 19, 2010

August 21, 2017

Dar has been madly working on his write-up for his master's degree presentation. He has to do a presentation on the sky in July so he was looking up information on solar eclipses. Being the astronomy nerds that we are, Dar & I were looking up future solar eclipse dates today. I remembered from my astronomy class a couple years ago that there would be a total solar eclipse visible from the Tetons coming up in a few years, but I couldn't remember exactly when. So in doing our research we found that the news is even better for us than we thought!!

The center of the solar eclipse will pass less than a mile from where my sweet grandma lives just outside of Rexburg. How much better than that can you get? Here's the proof:

In this first map, you can see the red line is the center of the solar eclipse path. The blue lines show the furthest north and south of the center you can be to still see the total solar eclipse. And it also gives the times that it will be visible. The red dot is my grandma's house :)
See? Look how close her house is to the center line when you zoom in!!
Dar & I were thinking we were going to have to take a trip to the Teton's to see this amazing event, but all we have to do is go to Grandma's house! You have no idea how excited I am about this!! Yes. That's how big of a nerd I am. Let the count-down begin! :)

P.S. I thought all of you Idaho relatives who read our blog would enjoy this information almost as much as us. Especially because some of you will probably be able to see the eclipse from your own backyards! Or, maybe we could just turn it into an eclipse viewing party at Grandma's. Mark your calendars! ;)

Oh yeah, and if you're interested in more information or just curious about other solar eclipses that will be taking place, we got our information from this NASA website.

1 comment:

Danica said...

Hey Kiara! I just wanted to write you back really quick about my camera. If you go to my photography website (http://danicanelsonphotography.blogspot.com) and go to the FAQ section, you can read about my camera and what lenses I use most. dSLRs are very fun, but it's taken me a few years to really get the hang of it - and I still have tons to learn! Good luck!