Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mommy-hood

I love being a mom. Having this little girl in our home has changed my life tremendously in the last 8.5 months. She is amazing and I thank my Heavenly Father every single day that I have her in my life. She makes me laugh countless times daily, and I still can't get over her cute-ness--I don't think I ever will. I live for her snuggles and smooches. She's great at giving them to her Momma & I love her cuddles too. Best thing ever!

Despite all of my attempts to intellectually & emotionally prepare myself for mommy-hood through reading and observing the example of other moms--including my own mom and mother-in-law, my sisters, and my grandmothers, etc., I've realized that you really don't understand the incredible responsibility of being a mom until you actually become one. Being a mom is the greatest gift and blessing (as well as challenge) I could have ever hoped for, and I'm so grateful to my sweet husband and my Father in Heaven for making it possible. I know it's not a privilege everyone is blessed to experience in this life but that if they are faithful in this life the blessing to be a parent will come in the next.

I'm currently reading an amazing book titled "Mothering with Spiritual Power" written by Debra Sansing Woods. She's a great author. It's the second book of hers that I'm reading. I'm so grateful for her spiritual insight and inspiration. It makes me want to be a better mom to my sweet baby girl. One of the chapters I read today reminded me that it really does take a village to raise a child, and that we should openly and willing accept all the support we can get, especially from other moms. I just want to end this post by sharing a quote from the chapter that really hit home to me today, and I'm so grateful for her inspired words, and hope to be more supportive of other moms myself:

"The world seems to pay a lot of lip service to the importance of motherhood and honoring mothers, especially around Mother's Day, but in reality, it often seems to do more to diminish and even undermine motherhood than to esteem and support motherhood. And, in my opinion, the media--through magazines and television--seems to foster conflict among mothers by attempting to keep us at odds with one another rather than fostering a sense of community with each other that could be so helpful in raising our kids."

Another great dose of mothering inspiration came to me this past weekend as I attended the General Relief Society meeting. President Uchtdorf always seems to know exactly what to say to the women of the Church, and the world for that matter, and I'm so grateful for his inspired calling and responsibility. Read the highlights of President Uchtdorf's message here. Or watch his talk here.

No comments: