Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A little help, please?

As many of you know, we have a toddler with several allergies at our house.  Aurora is allergic to dairy, eggs, and most especially peanuts.  The peanuts, even though it's the scariest allergy she has, we can definitely handle.  The dairy allergy is by far the most annoying, especially because Dar and I love our dairy products and dairy is in almost everything!!  It's still hard for me to adjust recipes for her sometimes without having to make something completely different for her to eat, but I'm learning and getting better with it.

We want to decorate sugar cookies for Halloween this weekend, if we get around to it with our crazy schedule, and I found this delicious sugar cookie recipe I want to try.  Luckily Aurora does fine with dairy and eggs when it's baked into stuff, so we don't have to completely avoid those ingredients.

Here's my problem: I want to make homemade frosting to go with our homemade sugar cookies (and one that tastes good too), but being an extreme amateur in that arena I have no idea how to make a non-dairy frosting that works well for decorating sugar cookies.  I'm sure some of you are laughing at me, but I really haven't made many homemade frostings in my lifetime and I'm not really sure where to start :)  I did a quick browse on the internet this morning and I didn't find anything that really appealed to me.

Your suggestions and recipes are gladly welcome!!  You're welcome to leave it as a comment or send me an email if you have my email address.  Thanks for your help!

2 comments:

Lora said...

I have made non dairy frosting before and it turned out really good. I just searched for vegan frosting on google and searched through the results until I found something good. The vegan sites usually have really great frosting! Good luck!!

Angela said...

1 c. shortening
1 tsp vanilla
2-4 Tbsp water
4 c. powdered sugar

Cream shortening, vanilla and water. Add powdered sugar and mix until fluffy. (You may want to use 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp butter extract to make it taste better).

Shortening isn't the yummiest frosting, but it's a pretty good substitute and I have used it for years on wedding cakes that needed to be bright white! Good luck!