Monday, October 15, 2012

Canning Maniac

I wouldn't say canning season is my absolute favorite, but I certainly do enjoy consuming the harvest of our labors throughout the year, so canning our produce is definitely worth it in the end (except for spaghetti sauce--I won't do that again like last year).  I really didn't do a whole lot of canning this year (about as much as I usually do, I guess) but a friend in our ward called me a "canning maniac" last week while we were exercising together.  Thanks, Cassie ;)

Just for my gee-whiz and being able to compare for next year, here's what I canned this year (approximately).

24 quarts of tomatoes
24 pints of salsa (two different kinds)
12 pints of peach jam
12 pints of grape jelly
48 quarts of grape juice (we picked 7 5-lb buckets full of grapes!)

And while we're on the topic of harvest time, Aurora helped us pick grapes and she helped Dar harvest all of the pumpkins from the garden too.  She's such a great helper!
 
 
 Picking out a Rori-sized pumpkin
 
 
 When we're out in the garden her face always shows evidence that she's been snitching the tomatoes.  I think she eats the green ones more than the red ones though.  Silly girl.
 Helping Dad with the pumpkins :)
Getting ready to help Mom pick some grapes
but checking out the grasshopper Dad was showing her first
The lovely grape vine
 This is the first year we've picked so many grapes for canning
 Homemade grape juice is DELISH!!  It seriously can't be beat in my book.
 
Happy canning season!  Until next year . . .

4 comments:

deechickens said...

Thanks again, for letting us pick the rest of the grapes!

Rebekah said...

I am so jealous! I love canning.

Carrie Richins said...

You are amazing. Homemade grape juice sounds divine!

Jamie Dana said...

Impressive!!!