Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Introducing our little man...

Talmage Asa
 photo DSC01409_zpsz89qxm38.jpg

The story of how our handsome little man came into this world:

I had my final OB appointment on Monday, March 7th.  That day was so extremely draining for me emotionally that by the time I got to my appointment I asked my doctor if she could just induce me the next day.  Fortunately for me she agreed that getting our baby here sooner rather than later would be best.  It might be an irrational fear on my part, but after losing a baby pre-term (Nastassia) pregnancy is pretty difficult for me emotionally.  It's hard at the beginning until the baby is viable and could potentially live outside with medical help and then I feel like I can relax a little bit.  Towards the end of my pregnancies I start getting paranoid again that something might go wrong and I'll lose the baby.  Maybe I worry about it so much because I had a friend lose a baby at 8 months gestation through a cord accident.  Savannah had the cord around her neck when she was born and with Talmage flip-flopping on a nightly basis I was getting more paranoid every day that something would go wrong.

I know that's not a very positive way to start this post, but it's how I was feeling at the time and I was grateful to know after my appointment that day that we would be holding him in our arms the next day!

That night I got a call from the hospital telling us to be there at 7:45am the next morning but to call first to make sure they had a room for us.  We were woken up at 4:00am to Aurora coming into our room, knowing it was "the next day" and super excited about Talmage coming.  She wanted to know if it was time for him to come yet :)  Such a cutie.  It wasn't quite time yet and we told her she needed to go back to sleep.  Of course I couldn't get back to sleep after that so after laying in bed for a while I got up and started getting ready to go to the hospital.  I called the hospital at 6:00am to make sure they were ready for us and they said for us to come on in.  So, we woke Savannah up to get the girls ready to stay at my cousin's house.  We dropped the girls off at Ron and Martha's (thanks again you guys!!! You're so great!!  What would we do without you?) just after 7:00am and then Darwin and I headed to the hospital.

When we got to the hospital, the lead nurse told us there was a miscommunication and that they didn't have room for us.  They sent us away and told us to call back at 9:00am to see if they were ready for us.  So we experienced our first time going to the hospital to have a baby and getting sent home.  It happens to just about everyone, right?  Our girls were already taken care of and we didn't want to disturb them, so we decided to get a few things done that we didn't have time for the day before.  When I called at 9:00am they told us to come in at 12:30pm, so we had some time to get more done than we thought.  We went grocery shopping and then went home to get a little more cleaning done.  Darwin worked on researching potential lots for us to build a house on (we're mainly just researching things right now).  About the time we sat down for lunch, I called the hospital again and they told us to come in at 1:00pm instead.  I was grateful I called because the time changed on us again.  While Darwin finished a phone call downstairs with someone about a lot we were interested in, I laughed forever about the yogurt fiasco (I accidentally dropped Darwin's yogurt cup on the floor and it exploded, leaving a nice long trail of yogurt on the floor.  I was too huge and uncomfortable to get down on the floor to clean it up so I left it there for Darwin to see it and he graciously cleaned up the nice mess I had made for him in the kitchen).

At 12:30pm it was finally time to head to the hospital again.  We got there at 1:00pm and I was already 4cm and 80% effaced.  Luckily my IV went in fairly easily this time around and things were smooth sailing to start with.  I was started on pitocin around 2:30 and got my epidural around the same time.  Unfortunately it took two tries to get the epidural in, but once it was in, it worked like a charm!
Darwin is so good at making me laugh.  I'm always glad I have him around :)
 photo DSC01374_zps9hzlxts5.jpg
Happy and ready to meet my little munchkin!
 photo DSC01376_zpsssoxcpi1.jpg
 We got a kick out of the channel that was auto-programmed on the TV in our room and had to document it :)
 photo DSC01381_zpsomlv4joa.jpg
Labor was pretty easy for Darwin ;)
 photo DSC01383_zpsfkh9c1il.jpg
He's always great company!  I was so glad went to the hospital together this time.
 photo DSC01386_zpstdbbrdd8.jpg
My doctor came and broke my water around 3:40pm.  I was feeling pretty good and progressing really well too.  Things got a little scary at 4:35pm when Talmage's heart rate started dropping.  I started panicking a little bit because the nurses seemed like they were panicking.  They put me on oxygen and put a monitor on Talmage's scalp.
 photo DSC01387_zps4t5cguiy.jpg
His heart rate picked back up and things were going well again for the next few minutes until all of a sudden I was feeling like I needed to push.  The nurse came in and confirmed I was ready.  My doctor wasn't back to the hospital again yet so the nurse told me to try my very best to not push.  My doctor came in a few minutes later.  I started pushing at 5:02pm and Talmage was born at 5:06pm!  I was in labor for three hours and only pushed for four minutes!  I felt like I was pushing longer, probably because my epidural wasn't as strong and I could feel more this time around.  But he was here!!

Talmage was pretty purple when he came out.  Partly because he was pretty bruised from his quick entry into this world and partly because he wasn't breathing very well to start off with.  He also had the cord around his neck, like Savannah did.
First picture of our little guy
  photo DSC01388_zpszpsjrfxh.jpg
 They put him on my tummy to start with but when he still wasn't breathing, they took him away.
 photo DSC01390_zpszfnadzzw.jpg
Once they got him breathing, he was ready for his check up.
 photo DSC01395_zpsjwejhpql.jpg
Our doctor noticed right away that Talmage was tongue-tied.  He didn't even flinch when she clipped it.  I was grateful that she took care of it so soon!
 photo DSC01402_zpsd4rabugx.jpg
Our sweet, little bruised baby.
 photo DSC01409_zpsz89qxm38.jpg
It's become a tradition for Darwin to get a picture of our newest little one holding his finger :)
 photo DSC01413_zpspoytyscg.jpg
Time for his first bath!  He didn't love it.
 photo DSC01417_zpseedg6tom.jpg
He calmed down when he got his head scrubbed :)
 photo DSC01421_zpsegu3cqrq.jpg
Such a proud Daddy holding his tiny new baby boy!
 photo DSC01423_zpsvmnmpz64.jpg
Tender moment.  I love it!
 photo DSC01425_zpsino2tetc.jpg
Me with my new little munchkin.  So happy to have him here!
 photo DSC01428_zpsoxaas9vw.jpg
When we finally got some down time, Darwin left for a little bit to pick up the girls.  It was getting close to bed time, but we wanted our girls to meet their baby brother before anyone else.  They were thrilled to finally get to meet and hold Baby Talmage!
Look at that smile.  Priceless!
 photo DSC01431_zpsrzkk7wb8.jpg
Savannah seems so grown up to us now that we have a new tiny baby.
 photo DSC01442_zpsvbhcjuer.jpg
Our first family photo!
 photo DSC01446_zpsuztmu65p.jpg
The girls each brought a gift for Talmage.  Aurora gave him the tiger and the dinosaur is from Savannah.
 photo DSC01449_zpsbq7u1jmk.jpg
We had gifts ready for each of the girls too.  They love their new princess dolls!
 photo DSC01450_zpsacdyaazy.jpg
After visiting us for a little while, Daddy took the girls back to Ron and Martha's for a sleepover!  They loved being able to sleep at their cousin's house :)  Darwin came back to stay the first night at the hospital with me and Talmage.  I was grateful to have him there with us.  This picture was taken around 4:00am.  I'm always grateful to have my sweetheart around to help out!  How'd I get so lucky to have such a great guy?
 photo DSC01451_zpsz7fhkkuv.jpg

March 9, 2016
The next day was pretty low-key for us at the hospital.  Talmage and I only had three visitors at the hospital other than Darwin and the girls--Tracee and two of her kids came to visit for a little while when Darwin left to pick up the girls.  He brought them back to eat lunch and hang out for a little while and then they went home for naps and came back after dinner to hold Talmage some more and watch a movie with me.  We watched Disney's new Cinderella.  It was fun to have them come watch a movie with me.
Our little sweetie with his eyes open!
 photo DSC01455_zpsdobvxk2o.jpg
The hospital bed was a little crowded, but we had fun and made it work :)
 photo DSC01457_zpswdjxewmn.jpg
Aurora loves holding her baby brother!
 photo DSC01459_zps52vzs2my.jpg
Just for comparison purposes, here's a comparison of Talmage's bruising over 24 hours.
Day 1
 photo 20160308_192619_HDR_zpsnlvmo4hi.jpg
Day 2
His bruising looked so much better the second day!
 photo 20160309_092636_HDR_zpsublidanr.jpg

March 10, 2016
Thursday was the day we got to go home!  Talmage and I had to stay at the hospital long enough for him to have his hearing test done a second time because he failed the test on his right side the day before.  Luckily he passed just fine the second time.  Yay!
Dressed and ready to go home!
 photo DSC01471_zpsrlyqf5ve.jpg
We call his scowl his "focus face" because Darwin scowls a little bit sometimes when he's really focused on something :)
 photo DSC01474_zpstqwvxbau.jpg
Talmage holding Rori's finger.
 photo DSC01476_zpsmpqy7rtm.jpg
Savannah likes to gently pat Talmage and always says that she's petting him.  Haha!
 photo DSC01480_zpsmnssle9e.jpg
In his seat ready to go on his first car ride
 photo DSC01481_zpsoxootefm.jpg
He's definitely happier in his seat when it's in motion.  It helps sometimes to have his binky.
 photo DSC01487_zps2hc5p0wd.jpg
We checked out at 11:00am and we were so happy to all be headed home together!
 photo DSC01490_zpshyxu1l8v.jpg
Savannah at home with our flowers and balloons.  Savannah picked a Mario happy birthday balloon for Talmage and Aurora picked the biggest balloon she could find.  They crack me up.  Tracee brought a balloon and flowers for us too.
 photo DSC01493_zps8jesqepp.jpg
Such a proud big sister!
 photo DSC01511_zps0wbrkzmm.jpg
A few hours after we got home, Grandma and Grandpa came home from their mission to be with us for a few days.  It was so fun to have them here with us and grateful that they were able to get away!
 photo DSC01513_zpsf0mwjxai.jpg
First night at home!
 photo DSC01525_zpsnqvpelgp.jpg
We are so very grateful to have Talmage here and that he's healthy!  It's seriously a miracle to us every time we have a baby get here safe and sound.

Welcome to the world, Talmage Asa!

You fit so perfectly in our family.  It feels like you've always been with us.  Thanks for bringing such a special, sweet spirit into our home.  We love you so much already!

No comments: