Monday, June 1, 2015

Payson Temple Open House

April 28th
When a new temple is built, the Church opens it up for a public open house so anyone can see what the inside of an LDS temple looks like. I love having the opportunity to take our kids inside because they wouldn't be able to otherwise. At least not until they're 12 and live their lives in a way that allows them to enter the temple.

Temples are so sacred and special. I love the feeling of just being on the grounds, and we try to take every chance we get for our kids to experience the special sacredness of the temple and feel the peace that it brings.  We weren't able to get tickets for when Daddy could come with us, but I jumped at the chance to take the girls anyway.

I can't talk about the inside of the temple, because of its sacredness, but one thing I thought was cute that Savannah did every time she saw a beautiful chandelier was say, "Mom! Frozen!" and she'd start singing "Let It Go" in a quiet whisper.  It was pretty cute :)

You can click here to learn more about LDS temples.  If you live near Indianapolis, there will be an open house in July and August.  You should take the chance to attend an open house if you ever get the chance!

The girls and I enjoyed our time at the temple together, but we were sad Daddy had to work and couldn't be there with us. We did meet up with him at his work for lunch afterwards though!
 photo DSC08583.jpg
 I finally got an open-eyed picture of Savannah while she's smiling! :)
 photo DSC08585.jpg
Us girls!
 photo DSC08586crop.jpg
It's a beautiful temple!  We're so blessed to have so many temples close by!
 photo DSC08588.jpg
There was a visitors tent outside the temple where people could go and ask the missionaries questions and learn more about temples.  The girls loved being so close to this statue of the Savior.
 photo DSC08589.jpg
Then someone offered to take a picture so I could step in with the girls :)
 photo DSC08592.jpg
And we had to do the photo booth with the temple too!  Couldn't pass that one up! ;)
 photo IMG_62f5ee2c-71ca-4199-bef6-06491bbd6e17.jpg


April 30th
Two days later, my parents were able to come down with my niece, Koda, to attend the open house as well.  I thought about just sending Aurora with them and then knew Savannah would want to go too, so I just jumped at the opportunity for us all to go again!  Unfortunately, Savannah was not having it with the shoe covers/booties they have you wear this time when we went.  So, instead of fighting my two year old through the whole tour, she and I went back outside and waited until everyone else came out.
She insisted on taking her shoes off and wanted to stick her feet in the fountain.
 photo DSC08606.jpg
I wouldn't let her put her feet in, and that didn't go over very well so we ended up spending most of our time waiting in the car so she could eat snacks.
 photo DSC08609.jpg
 And we sang songs and made silly faces at each other to pass time :)
 photo DSC08613.jpg
When it got close to the time I thought my family would be finishing their tour, Savy and I went back outside to find them.
My girls love the Angel Moroni.  He's their hero.  Every time we talk about Moroni, Savannah reminds us that he blows a trumpet :)
 photo DSC08614.jpg
The gardens on temple grounds are always beautiful.  There was a hummingbird moth flying around.  It's a moth, but it looks and acts like a hummingbird.  Savy and I enjoyed watching it for little while.
 photo DSC08619.jpg
We didn't have to wait for much longer before they came out of the temple and joined us again.
The girls with their cousin, Dakoda.
 photo DSC08620.jpg
The best shot we got of our little group.  You can only do so much with cranky kids who are tired and hungry (especially when it's a complete stranger taking their picture)!
 photo DSC08621.jpg
Then we visited the tent again for a few minutes before heading home.  Each of the girls wanted a picture by themselves with Jesus.
 photo DSC08624.jpg
 photo DSC08625.jpg
And my parents too :)
 photo DSC08626.jpg
As we were getting ready to leave the tent, Savannah started crying because she wanted to stay with Jesus. It was the sweetest thing ever!  I'm so glad my kids recognize the Savior and want to be with him! :)

We can't wait for the next temple open house we get to attend together!

No comments: