Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Comforting words from a Prophet of God

I fell in love with the Ensign magazine last fall when I started reading it cover to cover while waiting for the bus on my way to school. I'm sorry it took me so long to decide to read it all the way through because now I can't get enough of it! So far I have read every issue since I made the decision to read them, but the General Conference issue takes me a little longer, so I'm still working on it. I absolutely love reading the messages that were given to us during Conference, and it's been great to read the talks from the Priesthood session because obviously I was unable to attend :) Some great words were given to the men at that session. General Conference always gives me a renewed determination to be so much better than I am, so reading the words again is a double bonus.

President Monson's talk from the Priesthood session was awesome! It is completely uplifting, and cheerful because of his great sense of humor. Sometimes I feel like I never want to have kids because of all the bad things in this world, but thanks to the encouraging words from our amazing Church leaders, it gives me hope and courage to press forward and to take on any task this world can throw at me. I want to share with you something President Monson said in his talk to the Priesthood brethren about becoming more like our Savior:

"To the sophistry of Satan, Jesus turned his back. To the duty designated by His Father, He turned His face, pledged His heart, and gave His life. And what a sinless, selfless, noble, and divine life it was. Jesus labored. Jesus loved. Jesus served. Jesus testified. What finer example could we strive to emulate? Let us begin now, this very night, to do so. Cast off forever will be the old self and with it defeat, despair, doubt, and disbelief. To a newness of life we come--a life of faith, hope, courage, and joy. No task looms too large; no responsibility weighs too heavily; no duty is a burden. All things become possible."

President Monson's words made me realize how far from perfect I am, but I was also reminded that if we are continually trying to do the things our Savior has asked us to do, He will always be there to help us and to lift us up when we need His help. I read something else that was comforting as well, although I can't find the reference in the Ensign at the moment. It was a reminder that as we continually strive to do what's right and to keep the commandments of God, Satan has a more difficult time tempting us because we are closer to the Savior and His spirit. When we have the Spirit with us, Satan cannot be there too.

Then President Monson said something else that was encouraging and hopeful about the world that we currently live in:

"We are waging a war with sin, my brothers and sisters, but we need not despair. It is a war we can and will win. Our Father in Heaven has given us the tools we need in order to do so. He is at the helm. We have nothing to fear. He is the God of light. He is the God of hope. I testify that He loves us--each one."

These are all things I have heard before from our leaders, but it is wonderful to hear them again and be reminded that if we are with the Savior, we are on the winning side. I hope that we will all try to be more kind to those around us, and become a little more selfless and we go through this test we call life.

2 comments:

Mandi and Jeff said...

It is so good to hear from you. Jeff and I are in Kentucky for 2 more years. In that time I will finish nursing school and he will finish Dental school and then we will rush home to Utah. What a cute little couple you are. I can't believe you have been married for 3 years, our 3 year will be in December, I just don't want to be that old yet :(

Shaylee said...

Hey cute girl! I'm so glad you found my blog so we can keep in touch! Hope all is well...you guys are so cute!