Thursday, August 28, 2008

It's a sad day.

I know I already published a post today, but something has happened since then that needs to be marked in the history of the Luckily Got Lucky blog. As part of the center pieces for our wedding just over 3 years ago, Darwin really wanted beta fish in the bowls that the floating candles were going in, so we purchased 8 of them. 4 red and 4 blue. Following our reception, we gave 4 of them away and we ended up with 4 of them: 2 red and 2 blue. At one point Darwin named the 4 we got, although I could never remember which one was which, and now I can't even remember what some of the names were. Those fish were his babies :) It was so cute because he'd come home from work or school and talk to them as he fed them or as he changed the water in their bowls. (It was his job because he's the one that wanted them in the first place.) Well, today marks the final day of our final fish. We lost our first two shortly after our 2nd anniversary--and we were surprised that they were all living so long at that point! Then, just a few months ago, probably in March or April, we lost the 3rd one. The 4th and last one (a blue one) has hung on and entertained us with his funky swimming styles. Many times we'd look over and he'd be swimming on his side, or just chilling in the water vertically with his nose pointing out of the water. He'd also get super excited when he saw us by his bowl and start swimming all over the place because he knew it was probably time to be fed. Such a funny little fish. Sadly, just a few minutes ago, I looked in his bowl, and our last little fishey has swum his last swim. I felt I needed to mark this day because we've managed to keep at least one of our beta fish alive for over 3 years!! As far as I can tell, that's a LONG time to keep a beta fish alive. Also, as far as we are aware, this is the last of the 8 fish to leave us, so we are quite proud of the lengthy lives of all our beta fish.

3 comments:

Jennie-O said...

I give you guys major props for keeping a beta alive for 3 years. I on the other hand couldn't keep one alive for 3 months! I suck!!!

Kenley and Mel said...

That is so sad, I am so sorry that you guys lost your "babies". That was a cute idea to have them at your reception and then keep a few. They weren't just some fish you bought they had memories behind them...I am sorry!

Lisa said...

We were just talking about those little fish earlier this week! I hope we didn't jinx his little life. :( So are you going to get another one? If not, three years is super old in beta years!