Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Let the GARDENING begin!

The weather FINALLY cleared up enough for us to plant our garden!! So Saturday was the day to do it. It was beautiful outside! I even got my first sun-exposure of the season :) Now it's supposed to snow again this week, so hopefully all of our tender seeds and starts we planted will survive. (I'm still kind of new at this whole gardening thing, so maybe I'm a little over-concerned?)

But, first I wanted to share pictures of the really neat clouds we had on Friday and early Saturday morning. I LOVE clouds--I get that from my grandma :)

Cool clouds, huh? They reminded us of ripples in the sand, and it made me miss Oregon. Again.

But, onto our gardening story: I've really grown to love gardening--no pun intended. I love working outside with Dar (love doing anything with him, for that matter), and working outside and getting my hands dirty is fun for me (as long as the dirt doesn't get under my fingernails, anyway). I love looking at all we have accomplished after a hard day's work.

Just the rows, nothing else done to it yet.
Next, we made a list of the seeds and starts we needed to buy so we could get them in the ground!
Planting some green beans! Mmm! Can't wait!
D planting some zucchini! Mmm! Again :)
Then it was time for some water. Get those seeds germinating!!
One of the many fruit trees. We can't wait for them to start producing. This one is a pear tree.
And another shot of the back yard with the tire swings our nieces and nephew like to play on.
On top of everything we planted in the garden, we have a pot of cilantro inside (our fingers are crossed that it will grow), and we're trying to germinate some soy beans before we plant them because we were totally unsuccessful with the soy beans we planted last year.

And, I don't know if I ever got the pictures up from last year, but here are some of the fun things we got to do with the garden last year that we look forward to again this year:

Mmm! Fresh cherries!
Snappin' green beans
Canning apricot jam!
Weeding. . .
And picking the fruits of our labor!
We can't wait for our Gardening 2010 Adventures! Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Ruachel said...

This looks like so much fun! I can't wait to have a garden.

Sorry we didn't get together before I left, it was my fault. I stayed in Monroe longer than I thought I would. That only left me a couple of days to do a lot of packing and preparing to go. We really miss our ward in Springville and the great friends, like you, we had there.

Keep in touch over the summer!

Janice said...

Hi Kiara! I guess I don't need to ask you what you have been doing since we graduated! :) Hope you're garden grows! I,on the other hand, do NOT have a green thumb, but I can grow some MEAN lookin weeds!:) Happy day to you both! Love ya!!

Jared & Tracee said...

I can't believe that I have been friends with you guys for SO long, and have never helped with the garden. I have NO green in my thumb, that I probably should have learned something while we were there!

Rebekah said...

Good for you! I wish I was a gardner. I DID NOT inherit that from my dad! I can't grow anything.