Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Rock Hounding

Last Thursday Dar & I went with our friend and favorite Realtor, Dan Cavan, out to Topaz Mountain and also to the geode beds in that area looking for none other than topaz and geodes. We were looking for rocks :). Or I guess I could say the boys were looking for rocks and I was tagging along. I didn't do a whole lot of rock hunting myself, I honestly don't get much pleasure from hitting rocks with hammers. I'd rather sit back and watch. But we all enjoyed ourselves anyway and tried to not get sunburned.

Looking out at the valley from Topaz
Dan & Dar getting ready to pound on the mountain
Nice big chunks of Topaz Dan found but was nice enough to let us keep them.
Dar breaking open a rock at the geode beds to see if it was a geode or not.
One of the pretty geodes I found--we ended up with a whole bucket full of rocks to bring home!
The geodes were much easier to find because they were lying in really soft soil. You didn't have to do a whole lot of digging or beating on rocks to find them. Looking for geodes was more fun for me than hunting for topaz.
A shot of the beautiful Utah desert
It was a lot of fun to see you again, Dan! And thanks to Paige for letting us borrow your husband for a day :)

3 comments:

The Lape Family said...

Where is Topaz Mountain? Nick would love to check out this place. I would love to take the kids.

Paige said...

No, I have to thank you for indulging Dan! He loves that sort of thing. I couldn't believe how much he came home with. Oh, and you gotta love his hat, huh? :)

Lora said...

Oh man what an awesome thing to do! I saw something on the travel channel about rock hunting in Utah and I have been DYING to go ever since! If you two ever go out again and need a tag along Mike and I would seriously LOVE to go!!