Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mad Canning

Over the last few weeks while D has been at work I've been doing some canning on my own. I miss doing it with him (he makes it tons more fun) but I've been proud of what I've been able to accomplish on my own. We did strawberry jam together back in June, which is totally delish!

In August, D & I canned cherry pie filling with my cousin, Martha. D has already used some to make cherry cobbler. Yum-O! Thanks again, Martha!
Then in September I did salsa with my cousin, Alice, and great aunt, Sharon. Last year when we did it I spent the whole day cutting up hot peppers (without gloves) and I definitely learned my lesson. My hands were on fire for at least 3 days! This year I chopped bell peppers and onions most of the time so it was a better experience. It's always fun to do canning with them! Thanks, ladies!
Throughout September I would can tomatoes from our garden as they ripened. Canning tomatoes was the first experience I had with canning on my own. I love fresh garden tomatoes, so it's nice to have our own tomatoes canned and ready to eat all winter long! Plus I think tomatoes are a piece of cake to can, so I'm always willing to can tomatoes :)
D helped me get started with the grapes this last week. We went and picked 2 5-gallon buckets full of grapes on Friday (and only got through about 1/3 of the grape vine). We juiced our first batch on Saturday & I've been working on getting the juice in jars the last couple of days. I'm almost done. Our house has smelled so good the last few days! I think I've been the most excited about the grape juice because D & I both agreed it reminds us of our childhood when our moms would can it. I love the smell of the grape juice & we're planning to drink up our first jar on Thursday to celebrate D having time off for UEA :)
I've done the grape juice with a steam canner and I've totally been converted. We had been using a water bath canner for the tomatoes and strawberry jam, but I'm a total steam canner advocate now! Love it! Thanks to all you wonderful women who have helped us out and given us extremely helpful tips. You know who you are! We love you!!

4 comments:

Paige said...

Okay, you are wonder woman! I know nothing about canning and it looks impossible to me. I'll have to get lessons from you someday!

Rebekah said...

Isn't it so fulfilling?! I LOVE canning.

Jared & Tracee said...

Wow, way to make me feel less like a woman!! Like Paige I know NOTHING about canning. The sad thing is I cut my first fresh hot peppers for a mexican meal I made. My fingers were BURNING, and I had no idea that they would do that to you! I am totally a precanned girl! :)

Ruachel said...

You two are doing such a great job canning. It will be great to have a variety of home grown fruits and vegetables, all year long. The grape juice sounds very yummy! I can't wait until we have a garden. You two are so talented! :)