Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Blasted Binky!

At this moment my 22 month old is choosing to sit in her crib just so she can have her blasted binky.  Our doctor wanted her off of it for sure by 18 months, yet here we are.  Still extremely attached to said binky (both of us).  I know it's my fault.  Grr!  I've been attached to it to because it makes getting her to bed SO MUCH EASIER.  I decided at 18 months that she would for sure be off of it by her 2nd birthday.  Now sometimes I tell myself I'll have her off of it by 2.5 years, but I also feel that the sooner we get her off of it the better.  She's going to have a lot of new changes coming up in her little life with a new little sister on the way.  Aurora had been doing AWESOME just having it at nap time and bed time, and then she got sick and I let her have it all day.  Mistake on my part.  She's been sick several more times and had it all day and she's totally regressed, throwing temper tantrums and things when she doesn't get her binky during the day when she wants it.

At the end of September I decided Thanksgiving break would be the time to get her off her binky (that's next week!!).  I really would love, Love, LOVE! to have her weaned from it well before Savannah joins the fam in March, so wish me luck!  I've gotten some good tips from people on how to get her off of it but I'm struggling with decided which would be the best and easiest way to do it.

Your suggestions are gladly welcome!  Let me know what worked for you and your little one.  I'm still going to try to do it next Monday, so any tips you can give me before then would be AWESOME!!  Thanks a billion!

3 comments:

Angela said...

Try a "Binkie Fairy". She helps you tie all the binkies together and you put them out one night and the Binkie Fairy takes them in exchange for a gift (bear, doll, whatever she likes).

I have also heard of moms cutting off the tips of the binkie, so even if she finds one it doesn't "work" and they give it up.

Jared & Tracee said...

I LOVE that she is wide eyed and awake sitting in her crib, so that she can have her binky! She is as stubborn as Mr. P!!!

Tiffany said...

I agree - cut the tip off! I did that with both of my girls and it worked like a charm! They didn't like that it was broken. I hid all the rest and would only hand them the "broken" one - they didn't like it and refused it. I felt like that way they kind of understood (and got over it quicker) instead of just being confused and mad if I just didn't give them one altogether. :) Good luck! The first week is the hardest - once you've made it that far it's down hill from there! DON'T GIVE IN! Life is so much easier now that we're all binky free around here. And congrats on the pregnancy - that is so awesome! Love her name too... :)