Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Follow"

I've decided we need to start gearing our weekly Family Home Evenings towards more Aurora-friendly lessons.  Last night was the first one we've done specifically for her.  We started out by singing "Popcorn Popping," then after prayer we read a short story about Jonah and the whale. 

Dar then suggested we sing "Follow the Prophet" but the verse about Jonah.  We both started out, "Jonah was a prophet..." and then busted up laughing because neither one of us knew the words for that verse, but we totally started it out like we knew it like the back of our hand.  It was really one of those had-to-be-there-moments, but let's just say that with my weak after-having-delivered-a-baby muscles I was glad I was already sitting down with my legs crossed.  I'm sure some of you moms know what I'm talking about.

I am very grateful to have a living prophet on the earth today.  I know President Monson is called of God to lead His Church in these latter-days.  I also know my life has been so very blessed because I choose to "Follow the Prophet" because I know he will never lead us astray.



We did end up making it through the entire song--all 9 verses (after looking up the song on our Gospel Library app, of course), and I only giggled a few more times when I thought about our funny moment.

I am also glad that despite our irreverence, Aurora still got something out of the lesson and kept saying "follow" when we were done singing.  She really seems to connect to music, even since she was just tiny, and I'm so grateful for the Primary Children's Song Book.  Part of our nap time and bed time routine includes me singing a variety of Primary songs to her while I rock her for a while, and I'm so grateful for the simple truths they convey.  I hope it's helping to plant a little seed of faith in the Gospel, and most especially in Jesus Christ, in her heart as I sing those songs to her every day.

Also, yesterday afternoon I sang "I like to look for rainbows" to her because we were talking about rainbows and colors, and that's the only song she'd let me sing to her at nap time.  I had to sing it to her over and over and over again.  But I didn't mind because it's a good one.  I like it too :)

No comments: