Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Uplifted and Edified

Can I start off by telling you how much I love, LoVe, LOVE General Conference? I can remember trying to sit through the sessions as a little kid, and how difficult it was sometimes to sit there and be quiet and listen to the talks, but now I start counting down the weekends. I thoroughly enjoy listening to a true Prophet of God, and the real, Twelve Apostles. Yes, they are on the Earth again! The true Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored, I have no doubt about it! It's so hard to put my appreciation for the Gospel in words, as I'm sure it is for many of you as well. I can't imagine what my life would be like without the Gospel, and I don't want to imagine it. I have been truly blessed in every aspect of my life because I was born a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Thanks, Mom & Dad! :)

As my adorable institute teacher, Sister Colleen Terry puts it, "Conference weekend is like getting a drink of water from a fire hydrant". Haha. I love that phrase, thanks, Sister Terry! But it's seriously true. I loved all of the amazing talks that were given, and it's hard to choose a favorite, but one that really stood out to me was President Henry B. Eyring's talk on unity. How much better would this world be, or even just the members of the Church, or our families for that matter, if we would truly strive for the unity President Eyring spoke about? To be of one heart, and one mind. Can you imagine if we could all have that unity with each other? President Eyring gave us three specific pieces of counsel in striving for unity. (1) Seek personal revelation--Have the faith of a child and you will be directed, (2) Be humble--Pride is the great enemy of unity, and (3) Speak well of each other--If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Another favorite talk was by President Thomas S. Monson about change, and learning to live in the moment. I loved that he talked about how the things that may stress us out in our lives in the moment will be gone before we know it, and we may even miss it. He used the example of household duties that go along with raising children and a family; a task that is not easily done. I also loved that he quoted The Music Man when Professor Harold Hills says "You pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you have nothing but a bunch of empty yesterdays". I love that quote, and that movie, so it was fun to hear President Monson quote it. He also encouraged us to "find joy in the journey, now!" I really liked that piece of advice as well. How often do we just go about our daily routines without cracking a smile, or enjoying the moment we're in. --Kind of off topic, but a few weeks ago after coming home from a Stake Primary Training Meeting I told Darwin that one goal I want to have with our children is to make sure they have fun every day. I want to ask them every night before they go to bed, "Did you have fun today?" And then I also want to ask them, "Did you feel the Spirit today?". I think those two questions, and the answers to them will instill in our kids a couple of the qualities we want to make sure they have...a sense of humor (to go along with Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk which was also fantastic!), and the ability to communicate with the Holy Ghost. --Back on topic :) One of my favorite things President Monson said in this talk was to never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Wow! I love the leaders of the Church!

I know I'm babbling and going off on a tangent, but I sincerely loved this past weekend's Conference talks. I found something in each one of them that I felt was specifically for me. I am so grateful that we have a Father in Heaven who knows each one of us individually, and that He really does know what we're experiencing and going through, and He loves us and wants us to live with Him again. I can't wait for next month's Ensign to come out so I can read the talks again! I hope you guys will too!

No comments: