Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I should be in Punxsutawney, PA

I have a slight obsession over Groundhog Day. Not really sure why, but it's my first favorite holiday of the year ;) (it IS the first holiday of the year by the way, minus MLK Day) I was reminding people in my classes at school all week last week that Monday was going to be Groundhog Day!! I was soo excited!

So, yesterday morning on the way to school, we heard that Punxsutawney Phil (the famous weather-predicting groundhog) saw his shadow, which means...6 more weeks of Winter. Sorry to disappoint some of you with that news, but we ALWAYS have 6 more weeks of Winter, regardless of whether Phil sees his shadow or not.

After school, D & I decided to enjoy some Groundhog Day festivities. We watched/listened to the movie Groundhog Day while we made Groundhog Day treats* (see picture below). I have to say that I really do like the movie, Groundhog Day, with Bill Murray in it. I'll be the first to tell you that I am NOT a Bill Murray fan, but I absolutely love this one movie that he's in.

I have officially made a goal to someday travel to Punxsutawney, PA to participate in the REAL Groundhog Day festivities. I think it would be awesome!! I told D we can wait to do it until he retires...being a school teacher makes it difficult to travel in the winter, if ya know what I mean.

We hope you all had as great of a G-hog Day as we did!!

*We took the Pilgrim Hat treat idea we used for Thanksgiving and altered it to make cute little Groundhog treats....we might need to make some adjustments for next year :)

4 comments:

BusyMama said...

How cute are you, holy cow! If you decide to to do the real festivities within the next few years, you can come stay with us. :)

Jennie-O said...

that is super cute and creative! Good for you for celebrating a holiday that no one else cares about!! :) j/k

Carrie Richins said...

Tagged! Check out my blog.

Super cute groundhogs!! You are so creative, I love it.

Erin said...

How fun! Those little treats are so cute! I love that you celebrate obscure holidays--we do too! We didn't do Groundhog's Day, but we celebrate April Fools Day & Talk Like a Pirate Day. Now that I've seen your ideas, I think we'll have to celebrate this one next year.