Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sometimes it just makes sense!

This is kind of long, but probably worth reading :)

I've said it several times, but I'm going to say it again. I LOVE the Ensign magazine issued each month by my Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As I was reading through some of the articles yesterday in the January 2011 issue, one article in particular stood out to me. It's written by an Apostle of God and is actually an excerpt from an address he gave to the faculty and students at Harvard University almost a year ago. The article is titled, "Fundamental to Our Faith" and is given by Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He talks about 3 fundamental premises of our faith that make us stand out from other religions. I absolutely LOVED this article, and really felt like I should share my thoughts. (To read the whole article click here.)

When talking about the 2nd fundamental point he brings up - the purpose of mortal life - one quote in particular stood out to me. Mostly because of the stage of life I am in right now, I guess, but also because I know that it's true. Elder Oaks states:

"Knowledge of God's plan gives Latter-day Saints a unique perspective on marriage and children. We look on the bearing and nurturing of children as part of God's plan and a sacred duty of those given the power to participate in it. We believe that the ultimate treasures on earth and in heaven are our children and our
posterity. . . .

"The power to create mortal life is the most exalted power God has given His children. The use of this creative power was mandated in the first commandment to 'be fruitful, and multiply' ".

I loved how he put that, and it reminded me of a thought that came to me about two weeks ago when I was pondering the sacred responsibility of parenthood. We all know that the earth has been around for a long time, and in that time a LOT of people have lived and died here. As a Latter-day Saint, I know that we lived in heaven before we came to earth. In heaven we knew we would come to earth to receive a body--one of the greatest gifts God could give us. And as part of receiving a body ourselves we would be given the opportunity to find a spouse and use the sacred procreative power from our Heavenly Father to give other spirits the opportunity to receive a body as well. What really struck me when I was thinking about this was how long Darwin and I have waited for the opportunity to become parents. We've lived for eons as spirits, and have only been on this earth for a short time. How long have we really been anticipating this sacred responsibility? And now in the next few weeks we're finally getting the opportunity we've been waiting so long for!

When I brought this up to Dar, he said it was a good point, but said too, "How long has this little spirit been waiting to receive her body?" Another good point. And I'm sure that receiving a body is something this little one has been waiting for for a VERY long time. :) I am so grateful to have the true Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. I am so grateful for the testimony I have of the truthfulness of the Gospel. I am so grateful for the opportunity Dar and I have to become parents in the next few weeks, and for this little spirit daughter of our Heavenly Father finally getting the opportunity to receive her body.

To learn more about what we believe visit our Church website, lds.org.

No comments: