Monday, May 4, 2009

Class of 2009

UVU's graduation was on Friday, and since I didn't have anything better to do, I decided to go and support my classmates who were walking, listen to the Prophet speak, and then watch J walk. I graduated with my Associates (FINALLY!!) but I decided not to walk because I'll be walking next spring when I graduate with my Bachelors.

President Monson's talk was great. Short, but great. I think it was a bit of a surprise for everyone that President Eyring and President Uchtdorf were there as well! We got the whole 1st Presidency for our Commencement! (D says that's what separates us from BYU ;) President Monson gave the graduates three pieces of advice. Here's some of the small notes I was able to jot down from his talk.
  1. Glance Backward - Only a glance, because it's not practical to return to the past. Glance back at the sacrifices of yourself, your parents, and your family to get you through your schooling. Glance back at the inspiration you received from some of your professors.
  2. Reach Outward - True happiness comes from serving others. Try as we may, we cannot escape the impact of our lives on others. Serving others gives us the power to lead.
  3. Press Forward - Accountibility is not for the intent, but for the deed. To cease learning is to cease existing.
Bad picture, but I wanted to post it anyway :)
A shot of the crowd that came to hear President Monson
R waving at her daddy.
(We actually did find him, so she really was waving at him.)

Right after he got his diploma.
Now that he's done, he thought it was appropriate to buy his first UVU apparrel :)
R getting driving lessons from D after J's graduation BBQ.
J graduated in Aviation Science, Professional Pilot, Cum Laude. He was actually done in December, but UVU only walks in the spring. Congratulations, J!! You did it!!

*As a side note, even though I didn't walk, I graduated with my Associates in Behavioral Science, Honors. I was soo excited that I finally have at least some-what of a degree. And I was actually done with my Associates in December as well, but didn't apply for graduation until this semester. I can't wait till next spring!!!


As another side note, Saturday night there was the biggest moondog I've ever seen. (A moondog is basically just a halo around the moon. The sun gets them too.) J & T were leaving our house and called us to have us come outside to look at it. It was amazing and this shot doesn't do it any justice at all, but it was really beautiful!


*Tailbone update: I did end up going to the doctor on Friday after all the graduation fun. She put me back on anti-inflammatories, but my tailbone has gotten worse since then. Hopefully this goes away soon. We're driving up to Idaho on Saturday, and sitting in the car for 4 hours with my tailbone hurting like this will NOT be my idea of fun!

4 comments:

The1stdaughter said...

Congrats on the associates, even if you didn't walk it's still a huge accomplishment!

Paige said...

Congrats, Kiara!

Kirsten said...

Ya, we'll be at grandma's. See you there!

Missy said...

I guess it will now be my job to read your blog in order to stay informed on what you are doing. Congratulations! (On the graduation, not the fact that you will have someone as spectacular as me reading your blog.) I will be reading from now on...